Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving: this and that.

Whoa. I'm still full.

Moments from the past few days that you may want to know about:

6 - I completed my entire Thanksgiving list, and my dad referred to me as "organized". That probably doesn't sound like a big deal to you: but it is. I'm constantly having to make myself get organized because I'm naturally scattered. List making keeps me sane (ish). And happy!

5 - The day before Thanksgiving, my in-laws showed up at my front door.... TO HELP ME CLEAN. It was the sweetest thing....My Mother-in-Law told me that she didn't want to "hurt my feelings, but she understood that I work all the time and I had been sick the weekend before... so she wanted to help" - she also told me that I could take all the credit for my spotless house. I, of course, bragged to everyone who would listen about how sweet they are and how much help it was to have them over. I totally lucked out in the in-law department. She even dusted.

4 - Explaining to my sister that she "gets" to sleep on Luke's top bunk bed... and then having to apologize the next morning when he woke up with the sun and played music... and started creating with legos.

3 - Being in the kitchen with most of the people I love... it was a complete success and the first time the husband and I have been "in charge" of pulling off such a feast. I have to admit, it was quite tasty... and I didn't burn one thing! The turkey was perfect and now we all know that my husband can cook a bird to perfection. I feel like I got to use all of my housewife skills. Originally we set a goal of 2:30 for dinner..... we started gathering around the table at 2:26. BOOM!

2 - Running my errands the day before...completing them all before 10 AM - I had: Christmas presents, 4 pies and 2 freshly groomed dogs (one small.... one large and tubby) in my car... Pies and presents in the front seat.... dogs in the back each looking out of a window. I was feeling like a totally efficient adult. I was basking in my success with my sunglasses on and fully dressed even on my day off at 10 am. I turned the car off, pulled the key out.. and Pete (little one) jumped into the front seat on top of a pie. smoosh. Eh.... I decided I had better things to do than freak out about it. It was covered. Not pretty, but covered. The good news: I laughed and didn't yell.

1 - My mother - who is definitely one of my heroes for so many reasons including this one - looks over to my mother-in-law, the preacher's wife... and also one of my heroes, and asks "HAVE YOU EVER SEEN BITCHIN' KITCHEN?"

0 - because I didn't know that I was going to have 7, and adding 0 is the lazier way to add another. My family always goes around the table to say what we're thankful for on Thanksgiving - and my MIL just about made us all cry when she said she is thankful for me and also for our marriage - because I bring so much happiness to JD. It makes my heart all warm and fuzzy to know that it's easily recognized by his parents how happy we are together... and how happy he is.

-1 - I'm sorry! I'll be done after this one. Obviously I'm really great at planning...
My cousin (Garage Sale Julie) and her little ones came over - one of them is my actual God-child - though they're both dear to my heart. Jack (2) walked in and said "GOBBLE GOBBLE". I can't express to you how adorable this was - but it was the cutest thing I've ever seen. Then we (Jack + Addie) had a moment to browse the toy catalogs... and I no longer have to worry about what to get them for Christmas. 

Thanksgiving was dreamy. It was just enough chaos and just enough relaxing... it was amazing food and even more amazing family time. I didn't have to miss my parents or my in-laws... we were all here. Luke is home. My dogs have been clean for over 24 hours now and don't yet smell like their muddy backyard. Things feel pretty perfect :)

I don't feel all that eloquent tonight... in fact, I haven't been able to post because I've been having trouble writing lately... but I had to share these. Excuse the poor writing skills.... and if you see my typical writing skills which are just a little better than these, send them home.

No comments:

Post a Comment