Sunday, February 19, 2012

Ghosts? Oh, I don't know about that :)

Three things you should know before reading the rest of this post:

1 - I don't dig Halloween. I don't do haunted houses, or scary movies or even STORIES.... although, I do like candy.

2 - I love Valentine's day. It isn't just a Sweetheart day to me... it is my Grandma's birthday... it is my Mother-in-Law's birthday... my parents always gave me valentine's growing up... my first boyfriend had a mom sweet enough to teach him to send flowers - so early on I liked this day... I guess I'm typical: give me candy, flowers, jewelry... and in the case of this year: a new mattress... and yes, I'm happy. The cheese that comes along with this holiday doesn't bother me at all. Truthfully: the husband and I, we're cheesy people.

3 - I like old buildings and antiques. Sometimes these items come with stories, I realize.

     So last weekend, we took a little getaway to Eureka Springs. Eureka is a lovely spot... lots of good shopping (antiquing), eating (and drinking), and some really pretty Victorian homes. I LOVE it there. It's beautiful and in the mountains... I could have stayed if it weren't for that whole job thing that I have going on. The husband and I really needed a weekend away - and we happen to be fond of Eureka. We packed up our clothes, a couple of good bottles of champagne, and gloves - because on Saturday the high was in the 20's. Left a few hours early from work.... and we arrived in time to enjoy the night. It's only about a 4 hour drive.

 

Spring St, Eureka Springs, AR. LOVE!
     I don't think I realized this when I made the reservation: but The Crescent (our hotel for the weekend) is kind of known for being haunted. It's really neat - built in 1886... it was, some time in the early 1900's, run by some doctor who claimed to cure cancer. The bottom line: people probably died there. So they have a "ghost tour" and claims of frequent sightings.
The backside of the hotel. Pretty, hmm?
By the fire in the lobby
      Now, I don't necessarily have to buy into these stories or claims to be freaked out: I NEVER even let my ears hear things like this... I'm a weenie. I don't care what you think.

   We're about half a bottle of champagne in when I realize that a ghost tour is going on right outside of our door. Naturally, I listened with my face against the door and one eye glued to the peep hole. A group of about 15 people being led by a woman in Victorian era garb talking about how the room RIGHT NEXT TO US was a doctor's office (Dr. Ellis). She said something like this: "something something something, sometimes Dr. Ellis is seen walking into his office and often guests can smell his cigarettes (hotel is non-smoking), something something something doesn't have to open the door"..... THAT is when I give my husband the stink eye as to say "WHY ARE WE HERE?"... but RIGHT THEN, when I took my face away from the peep hole, that old door shook a little.... just a little. I look out again to see at least 6 cameras pointed at my door and a woman exclaiming "THAT DOOR JUST MOVED!! TAKE A PHOTO MAYBE WE'LL SEE AN ORB".... then they all took photos. 

     I tried so hard not to laugh... but called JD over to look at the fools. I mean, I was glad to be a part of their ghost tour and all, but the whole thing made me feel much better about staying in a "haunted" hotel. He looked out of the peep hole, and when he pulled his face away, the door shook a little bit more. "IT DID IT AGAIN!!" came from the crowd. It was hilarious. Of course, the tour guide totally fed off of it, "these kinds of things happen". I hope one of them had an amazing camera and can see my giant eye in the peep hole. I realize that's unlikely, but that would really freak one of those ghost hunting weirdos out. No offense, if you are one.
Hotel cat in the lobby "Casper". He was not necessarily friendly, but he seemed to tolerate people. I did catch a couple of kids carrying him up the stairs, much to his dismay, late on Saturday night... he must get that often. Mostly, he sleeps.

Valentine's Date. Isn't he so handsome? I love him in a suit.
      We had an amazing rest of the weekend. We ventured out, spent too much money on really tasty food, accidentally purchased an antique liquor cabinet from the 30's, watched movies, had a Valentine's date, relaxed..... it felt WONDERFUL. We disappeared and recharged for a couple of days. I do so love disappearing with that man.



No comments:

Post a Comment