Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Garage Sale

We had a garage sale Saturday.

With my cousin joining in AND my friend Riley (and even a few items from Couch Amanda).... so this was like a three family ordeal.

Friday night came and I was still hauling things from upstairs that had been in boxes since we moved into our home (err..... 10 months ago). I'm not really much of the "preparation" type.... so much so that I feel the need to put quotes around the word "preparation". My cousin, Julie, is TOTALLY the opposite of me. I think I even called her a freak at one point....


For weeks leading to the garage sale she would sporadically send me a text asking about the sale.... and I guess I didn't think much of it - until Friday night when she showed up all organized. It took her about half the time it took me to set up. Her items were priced, color coordinated AND had her initials on them. Brilliant.

My father-in-law once told me that "organization is often mistaken for genius"... I suppose by people like ME. :)

So - we busted open the wine and had a pricing party. Anything with the word "party" at the end must be fun right? ha. My feet hurt before the garage sale even started!

Saturday morning came - HELLO 6:30! We got busy quickly and it never occurred to me that it would freak me out to see people touching my clothes and shoveling through items that were in my home hours before.... Riley and I had this little conversation - let me just tell you.. the expression on her face was so.serious..... she meant it.

M: ... I didn't think it would weird me out like this to see people going through my things - but this is kind of chaotic.
R: Oh, have you ever done this before?
M: ... No
R: I took an anxiety pill before I came over.
M: All I've had is a cup of coffee
R: Yeah, this is more of a Xanax thing than a coffee thing. (while she said this... she touched my arm. I told you, serious!)
M: oh..... (then I ran inside to correct what I had obviously done wrong)


Things went a little more smoothly once I got my game face on. Minus the part where a little girl asked me how much a bracelet was - I told her - and she proceeded to steal it - it was a profitable day! We definitely made more than I thought we would. It didn't hurt that we had some big things to sell... a lap top, a washer/dryer... our sanity.



Anytime the husband could tell I was getting tired and ready to pack up he would just say "go touch the money".

It's hard to get out of that "What else can I sell" mode. I am still catching myself walking through the house thinking "... I could sell that for $7!". Maybe that will go away soonish.

No comments:

Post a Comment