Friday, August 5, 2011

Change.Dreams.Love.Happy.

If you had told 5 years ago Melanie that she would be (so very happily) married and living in Little Rock, Arkansas soonish... she would have rolled her eyes, laughed and probably taken a shot of vodka (I had a vodka phase about 5 years ago...).

When I was in high school, my cousin worked for Hendrix (still does...), but she - on several occasions - attempted to strike up conversation that involved me possibly attending Hendrix College... I remember telling my mom I wasn't interested because I would never even CONSIDER living in Arkansas. Ohhh Irony, how I love thee. The minute I graduated high school I was out the door and in DFW.

Being the stereotypical Texan that I am, this is how my map of the US went:


I really loved college. I loved it so much that I had a "victory lap" - actually, it was just half a lap. One extra semester (but don't worry, my dad still found a way to work in the fact that that I had been there so long I could "be mayor" into conversation). My plan was always to stay in Dallas... probably North Dallas, and have some super fabulous life that would eventually lead to having a credit card specifically for shoes and a closet that was a showroom for said shoes. In these fantasies I never had a job... odd....

I met my husband in the middle of my junior year of college. For several reasons that would require another post to get into detail, people freaked out when I fell for him. By people I mean almost everyone I know. Except for my sister. I knew a couple of weeks within meeting him that I loved him. I didn't know how or when or what was going to happen - but I knew I had to be with him. To be honest, it freaked me out a little too.

Now, keep in mind that I had my heart set on being a very "important" city girl. I had tall buildings to live in and plenty of late nights out left - I thought.

There was only one way I could ever be with my sweetheart.

I had to do the unthinkable and move to Arkansas. I remember talking to a friend about this and she literally said to me "... but where will you buy your makeup? Do they even have malls there?" hahahaha

We didn't really talk about it too much because the conversation always came to a dead end: He had a son. I would never ask him or even think that he would leave his son and come away with me to live my city girl dream. 

A few days after graduation, I decided that I was moving to Little Rock. A few days after I decided to move to Little Rock, he proposed (on top of Pinnacle Mountain New Year's Day... so romantic!). He was waiting on me to make a decision so that I didn't feel pressured (isn't he the sweetest thing ever? yes, yes he is).



First we lived in Hillcrest - which was super cute and close to downtown. The downside: our adorable little cottage was a gazillion years old and required a lot of maintenance. Now we live in West Little Rock - we love our home... it's still a work in progress, but it's come a long way since we bought it. I thought it would bother me to live so far from downtown... it does NOT. I love it out here! It's a quiet neighborhood... we even have neighbors that are NICE. Nice neighbors... how interesting.

We have a new dream: to save up, build a not-too-big house on a fat piece of land that is nowhere close to anything. With a wrap around porch. And lots of windows.

WHAT HAPPENED TO ME?

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't like it when I moved here. My first year here was really hard - and I had moments of "WHYYYYYYYYY am I here?" quite often. I was strictly here because I had to be with him - and by then I was also in love with my step-son... he is a special little boy with a big place in my heart. When people asked me how I ended up in Arkansas, I would just giggle and say "oh, that man I married!". But now I say "I like it here." - and... I do. It's nice here. Minus the 100+ degree weather, I don't really have any complaints... I'm really happy here - which is something I was afraid would never happen when I first got here.

What I want has completely changed. My dreams have taken a turn... I don't want the same things. I used to think it was so strange that my parents would stay home even if they were given the opportunity to do something "out". I. Get. It.

This is the first weekend in a long string of weekends that I get to be alone with my husband in our house with absolutely no plans. I could not be more excited (right now I'm listening to him snore in unison with the dog... kind of the exclamation point to my... point).

The thing is, there is nobody else I could do this with. I could only want this dream with my husband.

I really love what we have.

Happy Anniversary, Sweetheart.

I love this photo - in case you can't read it, the note says "I didn't know there was joy like this. I love you". That, along with a small box containing some beautiful earrings, came to me on our wedding day while I was getting my hair did.

No comments:

Post a Comment