Sunday, July 31, 2011

It'll just take some time...

I sat next to one of my best friends yesterday while her mother was lowered into her final resting place.

Something so awful doesn't feel real while it's happening. My heart is broken for my friend. I knew, and thought the entire way there (... I had some time.. changed planes 3xs), that there was absolutely nothing I could say or do to bring her comfort. There wasn't anything I could do to ease her pain. Ugh.

We're always so shocked and in disbelief when a loved one dies - but it is going to happen for all of us. My friend knows her mom's heart was in the right place - she knows where she is - so why does it sting so much? I don't think there is any way to prepare for the loss of a parent - no matter their age or quality of life when they have to leave....

The thing that brought a smile to her face: the strangers that had their lives touched by her mom - the nurses that cared for her mom and people my friend had never really met came to her to tell her how great of a friend her mom was to them, or how she helped them with a tough time. It was really sweet.

I've been in South Texas since Thursday evening... it was hard to come back and leave my friend, but a girl has to work.

My stomach is happy that I'm back. I am pretty sure I ate my weight in Mexican food while I was there. Those grieving Mexicans really know how to whip up some spectacular food. I had lots of hot sauce. Fajitas two days in a row. Some meat that I didn't want to ask questions about - but it was delicious. Some legit rice. countless tortillas. Ahhhhh. It's a good thing I don't live there... I really could eat that food every. day.

Oh, and sweet bread. I had never had such a thing. It's every where down there!! I'm going to have to have some shipped here.... no. no. I don't need to do that.

Yesterday evening ended with a cook-out (where I consumed more of the previously mentioned items...) and a good time. The family and friends shared memories of her mother - and had some much needed laughs.

Send a couple of prayers my friend's way...

I love you, Annette. Your mother was very obviously a sweet, wonderful lady who had many people love her.

1 comment:

  1. Are you talking about a bread that is sweet or sweetbreads that are very poorly named glands and such that pretend to be food?

    ReplyDelete