Thursday, September 8, 2011

You must be pregnant before you can change doctors. Seriously.

I should be a little more careful with my phone conversations at work...

So - this is probably all TMI, but whatever... My lady needs doctor is ... OLD. Not just hard of hearing and exceptionally wrinkly.. he is ancient. I have to yell just to have a discussion with him. When I moved here, I just phone booked a doctor (I know... whyyyy?) - and I recently heard from my cousin (Garage Sale Julie) about a new doctor (one who can hear and wasn't around for the Civil War)...

I found out that the two doctors are in the same clinic - EASY! I thought... because all the new doctor would need to do to obtain my records is cross the clinic and make a copy.

Um. No.

The phone-answering-jewel-of-a person GUILT TRIPPED me about wanting to switch doctors and explained (harshly) that "there is a rule between doctors.. you can't just switch doctors without having permission.. unless you're pregnant because your doctor doesn't deliver anymore"

To which I saw an opening and went with it...

"Well I'm TRYING to be pregnant!" (... still in the office... and that's not true, but that's not ANY of HER business)

awful phone woman: "Well.. it would only make a difference if you WERE pregnant"

Me: "So I have to get pregnant before I can switch doctors? That doesn't make any sense."

APW: "Yes"

(long pause)

APW: "Well, your doctor isn't in today, and he won't be tomorrow - so it'll be at least Monday before I can call you to let you know if you CAN switch doctors"

Me: "You just told me my doctor doesn't deliver babies - I don't see why I can't just make an appointment with a doctor I want to see"

APW: "It'll be Monday before I get back to you"

No thanks, I'll just find another clinic - GAHHHHHH!

The office team had to have heard my side of the conversation... I wasn't quiet. So I should probably go back to work and explain that I am, in fact, not trying to be pregnant. Or maybe I'll make them wonder :)

3 comments:

  1. Aggravating! I switched doctors b/c of the staff...same practice. How can it be in the best interest of the patient if they refuse to allow the patient her rights? Ug. I hope you go else where.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just crazy, I've never heard of that! But also I'm not trying to get pregnant. I'm on the 'if I look a little puffy just push me down the stairs just in case' program.

    OK, I'm kidding about the stairs. Good luck with that. I would have just been blunt, "Look, I'm going to switch doctors regardless, either inside your practice or outside. It's up to you which one."

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's ridiculous. But before I read this, I saw the word pregnant and got really excited!

    ReplyDelete